Profession: President/Chief Executive Officer/Author
Company: A-Tek, Inc.
Kathryn B. Freeland is Chief Executive Officer of A-TEK, Inc., a Virginia based woman-owned small business that provides Enterprise IT, Cyber Security, Cyber Data, Analytics, Scientific Analysis, and Application Development solutions, services, and staffing to Federal Government agencies across multiple mission areas including Homeland Security, Healthcare, Intelligence, Law Enforcement, and Life Sciences.
As the CEO, Mrs. Freeland is directly responsible for leading the company’s strategic vision and direction, developing strategic and tactical goals, operating plans, and policies for the corporation, and implementing board approved plans. She directs the company with a highly strategic business plan, referred to as Vision 2020 – The Way Forward, with the goal of optimizing profits and return on invested capital. Mrs. Freeland plays a vital role in business development, customer satisfaction, financial stability, and employee relations.
A serial entrepreneur, she is also the Founder and Former Chief Executive Officer of RGII Technologies, Inc., an Information Technology, Systems Integration, and Engineering Solutions Company whose myriad of customers included nine presidential cabinet agencies of the federal government. Mrs. Freeland successfully built and sold RGII to Computer Horizons Corp in 2003. Under Mrs. Freeland’s leadership, RGII more than tripled in size with revenue growing 4800% over an 11-year period. After fulfilling a three-year transition period with Computer Horizons, she retired in 2006 from the brain child she started in a basement office in search of her next entrepreneurial venture, A-TEK, Inc. Prior to founding RGII, Mrs. Freeland spent over seven years supporting various Federal Government agencies in the areas of Financial, Information and Program Management Support. Mrs. Freeland is a visionary leader who has made her mark in the business community.
Mrs. Freeland’s current and previous board appointments include:
• Board of Visitors, University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC)
• Board of Directors/Finance Committee Chair, Baltimore Washington Medical Center (BWMC)
• Council of Directors, School of Business, University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)
• Prevent Cancer Foundation Corporate Executive Council
• Board of Directors/Academic Affairs Chair, Notre Dame of Maryland University
• Board of Directors, University Maryland Medical Systems (UMMS)
• Board of Trustees, Anne Arundel County Retirement & Pension System
• Board of Directors, Anne Arundel Economic Development Corporation (AAEDC)
• Board of Directors, Girl Scouts of Central Maryland
• Board of Directors, Archbishop Spalding High School
• Board of Directors, Black Women In Sisterhood for Action (BISA)
Among her noted achievements include:
• 2018 LeadersNest Inaugural FedFem Award Recipient
• 2018 Enterprising Women Magazine – Enterprising Women of the Year Award Recipient
• 2016 SmartCEO Magazine –Brava Award Recipient
• 2014 Minority Enterprise Advocate Magazine – Entrepreneur of the Year Award Recipient
• 2011 SmartCEO Magazine – Industry Star Recipient
• 2010 Maryland’s Top 100 Women Circle of Excellence – Maryland Daily Record
• 2009 Boardman Entrepreneur of the Year College of Business The University of Southern Mississippi
• 2007 TWIN Awardee – YWCA of Annapolis and Anne Arundel County
• 2006 Top Technology Entrepreneur by Black Engineers of America
• 2006 & 2003 Maryland’s Top 100 Women – Maryland Daily Record
• 2003 – Selected as one of six successful business owners to be honored during SBA’s 50th anniversary celebration
• Leadership Maryland Class of 2003
• Outstanding Alum by her alma mater, the University of Alabama at Birmingham where she has established the Kathryn B. Freeland Endowment for minority and underprivileged students pursuing degrees in the field of finance at UAB
• Established the R. Gregory & Kathryn B. Freeland Scholarship at the University of Maryland Baltimore County supporting students majoring in the areas of information technology or computer engineering within the Meyerhoff Scholars Program
• 2002 Baltimore Business Journal Forty under Forty Award given to 40 successful entrepreneurs under the age of 40.
• 2001 TechnoRising Star Award for Woman Owned Business by Maryland’s Department of Business and Economic Development
• 2001 Industry Information Technology Award for Top Minority Owned Firms by PostNewsweek Technology Group.
• 2000 Black Woman of Courage – Emerging Business Award by the National Federation of Black Women Business Owners (NFBWO).
• Black Enterprise Magazine 1999 Emerging Company of the Year
• The Network Journal 1999 Forty and Under 40 Award for excellence in business achievement – one of forty recipients
• Finalist in the highly coveted Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award competition.
• Named the Minority Small Business Person of the Year by the U.S. Small Business Administration in 1995,
Freeland also holds membership in various professional organizations and is a sought after speaker. Speaking engagements include:
• National Association of Professional Women (NAPW)
• Minority Enterprise Advocate Magazine Keynote speaker – 2014 Leadership In Excellence Awards
• University of Alabama at Birmingham, Honors Convocation Speaker
• Panelist on the topic of Global Trends in Technology, Propelling Women into Leadership, sponsored by the Centers for Women in Technology at UMBC in conjunction with the Maryland Department of Business & Economic Development
• Keynote speaker – Texas Tech University Rawls College of Business Chief Executives’ Roundtable
• Keynote speaker – Wakeforest University Babcock Leadership Series
• UMBC Alex Brown Center for Science & Technology Entrepreneurship Speaker Series on the topic “Entrepreneurship – More Than A Notion”
• University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business Entrepreneurship Club
• DuBois Business Summit on Survival and Success
Mrs. Freeland holds a Master’s Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Financial Management from the University of Maryland, College Park, and a Bachelor of Science Degree in Finance from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. She published her first book, Navigating Your Way to Business Success: An Entrepreneur’s Journey which was released in July 2009.
A native of Birmingham, Alabama, Mrs. Freeland resides in Pasadena, Maryland with her husband R. Gregory Freeland. They are the proud parents of adult twin daughters: Brya Simone and Brynn Nicole, and one deceased son Richard Gregory II, for whom RGII Technologies, Inc. was named.